About Miller House / Washington's Headquarters
140 Virginia Road, North White Plains, Westchester County, New York
This 18th Century Rhode Island-style farmhouse served as General George Washington's sleeping quarters and command post during the Battle of White Plains in 1776. It was in this very house that the Father of our Country, in his role as Commander-In-Chief of the Continental Armies, made decisions that were to save his army and thus the American cause for Independence. The house was used by General George Washington and his generals during the American Revolution, including the Battle of White Plains during the last week of October, 1776. The grounds were covered with tents of the Continental Army, and during the Battle the house served as a field hospital where the wounded were nursed in the house and on the grounds. The house was formerly the home of Ann and Elijah Miller and by the end of 1776, Elijah Miller and his two sons who fought in the Continental Army had perished, but Ann and her daughters continued to be active in the patriot cause. Located on what is now known as Virginia Road in North White Plains, the Miller farm was originally situated on 100 acres. It was part of a 600-acre settlement which spread through areas of the North Castle Hills. The farmhouse was built in 1738 with an addition built on the west end in 1770, giving it its present style and appearance.
Federal, State, County and Town Recognition
The Elijah Miller House / Washington's Headquarters was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 29, 1976; added to the New York State Register of Historic Places on June 26, 1980; and listed on the Westchester County Inventory of Historic Places on January 5, 1988. It has been designated a Local Historic Landmark by the Town of North Castle.
The house museum is currently closed to the public, but is in the process of being renovated and refurbished by Westchester County under the direction of County Executive George Latimer. It's leaking roof, sagging porch, rotting beams, and ongoing deterioration are being repaired, in addition to the creation of a beautiful new visitors center and parking lot. This site, once a bustling historical attraction for school children and tourists, will soon be open again!
Renovations Well Under Way
Should be Complete by Late 2019
On April 26, 2018, Westchester County Executive George Latimer announced the County’s plans to refurbish and upgrade the Elijah Miller House at a press conference. The County promised nearly $2 Million for needed repairs to the house. In addition, New York State Assemblyman David Buchwald, has helped secure $250,000 of State money for construction of a new visitors’ center on the property. In May 2019, the County announced that restoration will cost Westchester County an additional $1.5 million. The Board of Legislators unanimously approved the additional money which brings the cost of the restoration to about $3.3 million. Completion of all work is currently on target for late 2019.